GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

v12
Professional
Professional

#1 GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi guys, got the pc back today but have problems with gtr2. Get on the track, start driving and get stuttering of the frames and eventually a short freeze up then I can resume till it happens again. Never had this before till it went into the shop.Did it before I took it into. Thought it would be fine when I got it back but no. Also once in the game (on the track) I cant get out (escape button doesn't work). I have never done a reinstall so talk me through that if you think its needed. HELP!

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade

#2 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 am

OK so give us the complete rundown again starting 2 weeks ago when you first had issues. List everything that you know happened, and what else the computer has been doing besides stuttering the game.
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#3 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Sorry took so long to get back to you. Had to drive my daughter back to college. Ok first, I got the esc button issue taken care of with both games. rf is running fine now :D . But GTR2 is still got this frame issue. No way to race with it like this. The shop never touched any files other than to move them to a new hard drive, clean up all viruses and malware issues and install new virus protection. As far as I can tell everything I asked of them was done right. Now to give you the run down from before it went in. Wife was on playing free cell when she calls me down saying pc wont turn off. On screen was a error window with the "end program now/cancel option" running. No matter what you chose it would loop back up. To turn off had to hold power button in for 10 sec. Next time I got on to play gtr2 was fine in all ways till on track. Any car any track stutter freeze stutter. Thought after coming back from shop that would be gone. Never told them to play the game or look there for anything. That pc had a lot of sick issues for years actually BUT they never involved the gaming so I let it go..till this. I got TONS of mods and track files I don't want to dl again and Ive never reinstalled the game for any reason that I remember. So if someone could explain in detail step by step how to (if possible) keep those files and reinstall gtr2 along with no cd patch maybe this will fix it. BTW there was no recent dl's prior to this trouble that may have caused this issue.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:55 am

ok what are the specs of the pc (hd size, video memory, ram memory etc)? All of that can be found in system properties. Also what are your graphical setting at in-game, and how many cars were you running with?
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#5 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Ive always run everything full out cuz I had it built for that. I tried dropping those settings down thinking like you but no change. Ill have to check the ram etc. later. Was only set for 8 cars out of 8 to show. Was handling 20 plus before this happen so don't think game settings are it. But if memory is getting full...Ill look and get back but doubt Ill be ready for tonight.

v12
Professional
Professional

#6 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Ok heres more info. GTR2 is configured on my system as such. 1920x1080 res 16 bit, direct x 9.0, refresh rate 60Hz, none of the boxes are checked. (tried vsync didn't fix problem). Screen res on monitor is 1440x900 32bit, memory ram 3574mb I tried taking out some replay files, had a ton of them. nothing changed Oh this is big..I was getting before all this bout 160fps now (just with gtr2) I now get 22fps! rfactor still runs smooth (THAT alone makes me think I need to reboot the game for being corrupt) but cant for some reason get frame rate to show up on screen. But Im sure its waaay better than 22. Im ready to dump this game soon :( Hate the idea of complete uninstall, some guys on line said that didn't help them either but Im at a loss here. Thought about a system restore but was worried some how that might screw up everything I just had fixed. One more thing, my team speak wont connect when I click the icon. Was going to uninstall it but it asked if I wanted to save the config settings and wasn't sure what to say. yes or no. I get ts working we can talk this out easier than writing it out. Oh if you think the fact monitor res and gtr2 config should both be the same ..I tried that at 32 ..no dif

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Well generally you do want the game res and monitor res to match, but like you said, that didn't fix it. I would think if rF ran fine then it possibly is something to do with gtr2. Before you do anything drastic with your current install, and if you have some extra space on the hard-drive (2GB worth) try the following steps to see if it is just your current install or an actual game issue.

1) Create a new folder on the desktop
2) insert GTR2 disc and choose the selection that lets you view the files on the disc without running the Autoplay
3) Run Setup.exe and select install if that isn't the default action
4) Choose Custom Install and direct it to install into your new folder on the desktop
5) Follow the prompts to install into your selected folder and get a snack while it does it
6) Once it is done installing, dont add any new stuff like cars or tracks and open the game and try to drive/race

This will either highlight your other install as the root cause of your issues (because a clean game should run smoothly) or it will tell you you have deeper issues. I get that you have had all those mods for a while and saw where you said you havent added anything new lately, but perhaps when the virus got you it corrupted something and the new install shouldnt be corrupted at all. Is GTR2 the only program not functioning properly right now or are there still other issues. How long has it been since you built it?
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#8 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:24 pm

So far the only other program not working is ts. Click icon but wont finsh load and just goes dead. Built it bout 3 years ago. 80gig hd 4gigs of ram to start. Only thing on the pc is game files for the most part.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:26 pm

Ok well go ahead and try the new install I suggested above and see what the results are.
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#10 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Ill admit Im no pc wiz geek and that's why its taking me so long to fix this problem. Ive spent all this time looking for something to really stand out like a "one click" answer to this shit. Come to the conclusion there is none. So Im going to un-install anything that don't work. Team speak, webroot windows cleaner, game booster (which I never used to begin with) and GTR2. Gonna save most of the tracks to dt but get rid of the rest and reinstall a clean game (or at least try). If it don't take, Im done with GTR2. Its been a bitter sweet relationship for years with dropped servers, multiple patches, track glitches etc. etc. Don't think Im done racing, ahh no way. Just simplifying my life. So lets hope it goes well. It HAS to be a corrupt game some how cuz I was all over rf last night and its PERFECT! Flipping SimBin and there short sightedness. :x

v12
Professional
Professional

#11 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:26 am

tonight I uninstalled gtr2 and my non working ts. Noticed it was a 32bit version and my machine is 64. Odd that it worked don't you think? When I reinstall Ill use the 64 version. When I uninstalled gtr2 I went in c drive and saw the gtr2 folder full of well..everything! Thought that would all disappear. The uninstall said it was successful. Do I reinstall over all that? Tomorrow install! Hopefully.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:43 am

I wouldn't install over it. My currently league installs reside on the desktop like I was suggesting earlier. And more than likely the game is gone but since the uninstaller didn't recognize all of the mods and tracks, it left them alone and just uninstalled the original game files.
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#13 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Now I think I understand. Ill pull all that previous game data to desk top for safe keeping till game is correctly loaded and working right THEN drop all that user data setup files tracks mods etc. back in right? If I still have frame issues right after new install then its something in the pc. But no idea what.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:47 pm

You can leave the old stuff where it was. Technically you need more than one install anyway if you are going to race online so that you avoid mismatches with all the new mods and stuff, but for now lets focus on getting one working install. Just follow these steps to add a new install to the system. This way it will be completely clean, and can be moved later or whatever you need to do with it. It may sound odd to not install into Program Files, but what you see below is how I do it every time I need a clean start with GTR2

Mongoose wrote:1) Create a new folder on the desktop, name it GTR2
2) insert GTR2 disc and choose the selection that lets you view the files on the disc without running the Autoplay
3) Run Setup.exe and select install if that isn't the default action
4) Choose Custom Install and direct it to install into your new folder on the desktop
5) Follow the prompts to install into your selected folder and get a snack while it does it
6) Once it is done installing, don't add any new stuff like cars or tracks and open the game and try to drive/race
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional

#15 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:29 pm

already moved them from c:/drive to dt Ive never had more than one install of this game running on the pc. I even found old crap from gtr1 and I took that game out years ago!