Administrator
Driver Rating: Gold
Primary Team: Satellite
Alternate Team: Renegade
Alternate Team: Corkscrew
Car Numbers:

#16 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm

SO I saw your post about taking the computer in to get the disc drive fixed, Im guessing you were still having problems with GTR2? Also, check out the RF league Alexi has put together.
Spike Spiegel

Stephan
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#17 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Stephan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm going to put my big heavy boots on and stomp all over this thread for a moment...its nothing personal against anyone, but Zack knows first hand of some serious pet peeves I have, especially when it pertains to installs of GTR2.

For starters, anytime you get your PC worked on, updated or have a re-config of major proportions, with the exception of windows based (or OS based) programs, you must reinstall the program. There are rare exceptions to that rule, but again unless they're OS based programs, even if they start up, and "seem" to work REINSTALL them.

Pending on what work was done, there's a good chance several things have changed on your PC. Registry files, driver files, config files, the list goes on.
So remove what you have for GTR2, by deleting the folder, and run a FRESH, CLEAN INSTALL. <<< I stress that after the comment made about installing over top of a current version.
And remove ALL content related to GTR2 - an extra installation folders (Win8 puts a directory in the documents folder...remove it too).

Now let me address this -
1) Create a new folder on the desktop

Zack...10 lashes for saying that. Installing to the desktop is one of the worst things, next to installing over top of an old install, that you can do. Yes, I know, and can hear being told to me that "I've never had a problem doing that"..with that said, I've never been run over by a truck, but you don't see me tap dancing out in the middle of the street either!

Let GTR2 or any program install to a directory. You can go into to the "C" drive and create a GTR2 directory, then inside of it create a folder called "League" and install it there. That way you have the option to create more GTR2 installs for offline racing, testing mods, etc. But, and I stress, DO NOT install it to your desktop!!

2) insert GTR2 disc and choose the selection that lets you view the files on the disc without running the Autoplay
3) Run Setup.exe and select install if that isn't the default action
4) Choose Custom Install and direct it to install into your new folder on the desktop
5) Follow the prompts to install into your selected folder and get a snack while it does it
6) Once it is done installing, dont add any new stuff like cars or tracks and open the game and try to drive/race

Everything listed here is ok..with the exception of one thing, I personally would install the official patch, and even the No CD patch, and if your feeling confident the weather patch as well. But I wouldn't go much further until you run a test.

Also, once you install GTR2 to a selected directory, DO NOT try to move it to another folder. And DO NOT make copies..for every version of GTR2 you need, run a clean install. Again some may use the common phrase of "Ive never had trouble" which will be followed by me saying "Ive never been run over by a truck"

I've been working with GTR2 nearly from the time it was released. I've blown up many installs of it, so I'm not just saying this stuff to harp on anyone. But these common mistakes can cause major issues, maybe not at once, but in time. Considering there has already been a mess of problems following cleaner steps for installing GTR2 will help eliminate some of them.

I know I sound like a grumpy old fart, but again, it's not harping on anyone, though Zack still deserves 10 lashes for mentioning one of my severe pet peeves!

Once you follow the clean install procedure, if you still have shuttering, check your vid drivers, and make sure they are up to date..there's also various settings you can try that may help. But first things first, do the clean install into an actual directory.
As for rF working fine...rF can work on a PC from the 90s...maybe one day I'll pull up my rocking chair and tell that story..as for now, run the clean install and then we'll see what is what. ;)

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#18 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Thanks for all advise gents. Maybe eventally I can use it. Pc is going back for the third time today after work. Couldnt even get to the desktop this time. Mouse wouldnt work at all plus I noticed my wheel wouldnt fully calibrate (no spinning just blinking lights) at start up. Boneheads are running out of ideas. Want me to bring the mouse with too! Maybe I should bring the wheel and we'll have a big F*&^ing party! If they actually fix it and down the road a year or more it messed up again...I wait till I can build new. Wont attempt to bandaid this one anymore. Im waiting to see what say at the end of the 30day warrenty. I wont let up on this till it runs or $ back! :evil:

Stephan
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#19 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Stephan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm even more interested to hear what they did to it to "fix" it. If it was a roll back or windows reset (which is a common way to fix problems) it sounds like they never even bothered to put in a fresh batch of drivers (which is one reason of why possibly your wheel and mouse were not working) .
If they haven't done this (roll back) you should tell them to just do that, instead of making the problems worse. That way you start from scratch. You'll have to update all of your drivers, and as mentioned above, reinstall everything, but in the end it's worth it.
If you do get them to do that, make sure they do roll back to "Factory Default" I had an older PC, that after a few years of trying to blow up and corrupt as much as possible, that I did a full revert to factory, and it ran like new. There was a lot of reinstalling that had to be done of course, but in the end it was worth it..if for anything, I was able to pick and choose what I wanted installed after the roll back, which prevents headaches later on.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#20 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:39 pm

So Tom, what was the result of the most recent trip to the tech?
Spike Spiegel

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#21 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Well, tonight I was bored so I did a reinstall of GTR2. Added none of my old files from previous install. Fired it up. All seemed fine till I hit the track. Shuttering just like old times. Now as far as I know everything from the old game is gone and the pc is free of malware and viruses. No idea what to think. Had configed for DirectX 9 vertical sync and widescreen boxes checked. Set up for 32bit resolution. That sound right cuz I really don't remember. Also, in case your wondering, nothing was changed when fixed. Still using xp , video card etc.

Stephan
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#22 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Stephan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 am

v12 wrote:Well, tonight I was bored so I did a reinstall of GTR2. Added none of my old files from previous install. Fired it up. All seemed fine till I hit the track. Shuttering just like old times. Now as far as I know everything from the old game is gone and the pc is free of malware and viruses. No idea what to think. Had configed for DirectX 9 vertical sync and widescreen boxes checked. Set up for 32bit resolution. That sound right cuz I really don't remember. Also, in case your wondering, nothing was changed when fixed. Still using xp , video card etc.

Turn V-Sync off, and uncheck windowed mode. If that doesn't help, drop your graphics back a bit until the shuttering goes away.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#23 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Might also be a good idea to shoot a PM to Daniel (dah72094). He is away at school and raced with us last night on a laptop or or computer or something and was having graphical issues and made a bunch of changes and got it running really smoothly from what he told us.
Spike Spiegel

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#24 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Also you had mentioned earlier in this thread that you had the game set for 1920x1080 res, but your monitor was only running 1440x900. I don't know if that might be a part of the problem, but if you haven't already, I would set your game to run at the same as your screen res just to eliminate one thing.
Spike Spiegel

Alexi99
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Driver Rating: Bronze
Car Numbers:

#25 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Alexi99 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:24 pm

lowering the res will help a lot. esp if it matches the monitor resolution, but ot excede it.
Flip your ride, not your finger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#26 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Stephan wrote:
v12 wrote:Well, tonight I was bored so I did a reinstall of GTR2. Added none of my old files from previous install. Fired it up. All seemed fine till I hit the track. Shuttering just like old times. Now as far as I know everything from the old game is gone and the pc is free of malware and viruses. No idea what to think. Had configed for DirectX 9 vertical sync and widescreen boxes checked. Set up for 32bit resolution. That sound right cuz I really don't remember. Also, in case your wondering, nothing was changed when fixed. Still using xp , video card etc.

Turn V-Sync off, and uncheck windowed mode. If that doesn't help, drop your graphics back a bit until the shuttering goes away.

I had this pc built to run rf and gtr2 full out and it had for over a year or two np. I run rf windows at level4 and sync on. Thought this would be the same but I'll try it.

v12
Professional
Professional
Car Numbers:

#27 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby v12 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Mongoose wrote:Also you had mentioned earlier in this thread that you had the game set for 1920x1080 res, but your monitor was only running 1440x900. I don't know if that might be a part of the problem, but if you haven't already, I would set your game to run at the same as your screen res just to eliminate one thing.

Never thought to check that. But I will thanks.

Mongoose
United States of America
Administrator
Administrator
Car Numbers:

#28 Re: GTR2 Stuttering/Freezing after visit to tech

Postby Mongoose » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:45 pm

ever figure this out?